so for the most part i cook vegetarian during the week and allow from some "meaty" splurging on the weekends, but i bought some lamb at the local market, and couldn't wait 2 days to cook it!
(+ i don't really like waiting over a day to cook meat)
this recipe is just too good not to share
enjoy! and let me know how it turns out for you.
lamb stir-fry with pomegranate and yogurt
makes 4 servings
• 2 tsp. cumin seeds
• 1 tsp coriander seeds
• 1 tsp paprika
• 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1½ lb boneless leg of lamb, thinly sliced against the grain
• 1 tbsp red wine vinegar (i didn't have any and white wine vinegar worked just fine)
• 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
• kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
• ½ cup plain greek yogurt
• 1 medium red onion, cut into ½" wedges
• cooked rice for serving (i made jasmine rice--my fave!!)
• ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
• 2 tbsp chopped pistachios (i couldnt use these because the beaux is allergic)
• fresh oregano, mint, and/or cilantro leaves
toast cumin and coriander seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. let cool, then finely chop (i just stuck them in my food processor for a couple mins on chop mode -- i'm lazy, i know). toss lamb and cumin, coriander, paprika , garlic, vinegar, and 2 tbsp oil in a large bowl to coat; season with salt and pepper. cover and chill 15 mins.
whisk yogurt and 2 tbsp water in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper.
heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet (preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat). working in batches, cook lamb, tossing occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes per batch; transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
add onion to skillet and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown and soften, about 3 minutes. add ½ cup water; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is tender and water is evaporated, about 3 minutes. return lamb to skillet and toss to combine. season with salt and pepper.
server lamb over rice. topped with yogurt, pomegranate seeds, pistachios, and herbs.
calories: 420 fat: 36g
recipe adapted from bon appetit